Runo-song adapted by Jaan Kaplinski
_____________________________________
How Can I Recognize My Home
Dear girls dear maidens
Where shall we go before the night sets in
Before the night towards the north
Towards the shining twilight
Towards the brightness of dawn
Our home is far away
Many miles from here
With six dry rivers
Seven sloppy swamps
Eight seas of fish
Nine beautiful brooks
Ten cold springs in between
We would like to set out on the road
Set out on the road and begin to go
To go toward home
To find our own house
How can I recognize my home
How can I find my house
Among ten others in the village
Behind seven strange farms
We have the moon on the roof
We have the dawn on the window
The sun on the door
We have a goldsmith in the house
A silversmith in the farm
A carpenter in the sauna
A golden smoke rises from the chimney
A silvery smoke rises from our farm
An alder smoke rises from the sauna
That’s how I recognize my home
That’s how I find my house
Among ten others in the village
Behind seven strange farms
(Translated from the Estonian by Eero Vihman, adapted by Kristin Kuutma)