Saturday, 23 February 2008

Logged Dialogues - by Angélico Humbertes

Logged Dialogues

by Angélico Humbertes *

 

 

‘You keep forgetting to live in the now.’

‘Wise words. But I understood them only in the past of your retrieving them in your memory, of commanding them to be spoken, of their sound travelling through this distance between you and I, of my ears capturing it, of them being processed by me until I could acknowledge their reception to you, just as I'm doing “now”. Do you see how long does this “now” takes to come true? It is a past. And I’m living in it, without any other option!’

‘You misunderstand me on purpose. It was an obvious metaphor to appreciate what surrounds you now, what you’re experiencing.’

‘Were I a man being tortured, were I tooth-aching, would you still want me to appreciate that very same “now”?’

‘You’ve a tortured mind. Disconnect it. Be.’

‘Can I in the “now” disconnectedly make plans for the future? May I use my memory of the past, of the past of Nations, to make not, to rebel against the same mistakes?’

‘Yes, your subsequent illumination would permit it, in a much wiser manner than you now think.’

‘But I was, or I am being. I am being myself. And you want to change me.’

‘The world is in constant change. You should be attuned to its rhythm. ’

‘I cannot do otherwise. Even if I didn’t want to, the world, as you call it, will change me.’

‘Our lesson for today is ended.’

‘So the world will end one day.’

‘You should be more open to the positive side of everything. Your negativity will magnetically attract more negatives.’

‘Isn't it the other way around? I was felling rather positive about the end of this lesson, until a “now” ago. Then the finished lesson somehow recommenced. Maybe that’s the way with ending worlds also; some new, world too, will begin at one's end .’

 ‘You keep forgetting to live in the now.’

 

 

 

 

_______________

 

* the aborted son of Humberto Pereira Dinis Lopes, who never got to know of his existence.

 

Translated from the original in Portuguese by António Dinis Lopes