(Pessoa = person, in Portuguese)
“To give someone good advice is to show a complete lack of respect for that person’s God-given ability to make mistakes. Furthermore, other people’s actions should retain the advantage of not being ours. The only possible reason for asking other people’s advice is to know, when we subsequently do exactly the contrary of what they told us to do, that we really are ourselves, acting in complete disaccord with all that is other.”
in Bernardo Soares’s (i.e. Fernando Pessoa) The Book of Disquiet, 1912-35
* * *
There are some days when I would like to be simultaneous entities:
One to do what I need to do;
One to do what I feel like doing;
One to do what I will never do;
One to do the opposite of those two.
(For the third is non-existent – some call it the holy ghost, which always reminds me of all that is lost in a hole.)
They are warrior factions who eliminate one another on a daily basis.
There are allies to any of their parties.
And traitors.
These strongly support the cause of One to do what I need you to do.
The other days, not a single one of them is true.
One day I was given an advice; I was told, ‘There is time for everything.’
......................................
......................................
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! That's an advice.