Monday, 17 March 2008

Thoughts for an unexistent diary

 

and while I’m translating Kaplinski into Portuguese, I realize that Estonian is closer to Portuguese (therefore to Latin) than to English. For many times when the Portuguese sentence comes to me, Kaplinski’s playfulness while shaping his verses becomes much more evident. Maybe contemporary Estonian is not much different from Latin yet spoken with a foreign grammar and lexicon. Which is the same as saying that it has nothing to do with it.

 

*

 

Meeting an old relationship reminded me of the feeling that I cannot catch up her frame of mind: forever a boy teasing a grownup, following one step behind. Maybe I’ll outlive her. Have no idea what I’ll get out of it.

 

*

 

When two person-worlds of equal mass and equal speed collide, there will be a bang and a rebound. If both have elasticity, the effects will be almost only at the nucleus level. Without a protective layer, there will be plenty of dust floating on the space in between their growing distance. I call it memories. Experimentation with worlds of different sizes and speeds will beget moons, one-sided dust particles. Sometimes even meteorites. 

 

*

 

Today I’m willing to believe in past lives, if we are talking of information passed through by both sperm and egg.

 

*

 

As all things don’t end, so they end with an and.