Recently the issue of men -- real men, you know -- wearing pink hit the Portuguese sports headlines. It is related to my favourite soccer club, Benfica, having decided to include pale pink (and light grey) on the alternative team equipment this year. It doesn't matter much for the purpose of this chronicle, but the main equipment is red and white.
In the sport that replaces by excellence tribal battles around here, such a colour selection raised the expected macho comments and giggles among supporters. Even those who were not dissatisfied with the idea felt a need to defend their views about it.
One of such cases was the comedian Ricardo Araújo, who, among other very amusing arguments, said that the adversaries will now feel more humiliated for they lost against the ones who were wearing pink. It seems quite obvious that the choice of pink was a smart marketing move to be able to sell more jerseys to female associates or worldwide fans. And I found that http://www.sibagraphics.com/colour.php gives us a short account on how important colours are for the purpose of marketing -- the case here -- if we need an example at all to start with.
In traditional western cultures, pink is a colour associated with the feminine universe and one will find not a few lovers of pink among women. But why?
I have no idea, as I have no idea about myriads of things including some that I think I have an idea about. But this morning, while I was going to shower, I stopped in front of the mirror. My nails looked pink. And don't women (or simply lovers of the male kind) pay attention to hands and nails? And pink looked also my penis tip.
You might want to keep this image of me for next time you decide to wear pink.
And, yes, I do love fleshy pink as well. No need to post a photo showing you reasons for this taste of mine, is there?